Fr. Manning Gaels are Division 2 Champions

Fr. Manning Gaels 2-10

Cashel 2-08

Congratulations to our Senior team who defeated Cashel on Friday evening on the scoreline of 2-10 to 2-8. This victory means we are Division 2 champions with a game to spare and have gained automatic promotion to Division 1 for the 2017 season. This is the first piece of senior silverware since 2001, so well done to all involved.


Played on an immaculate surface in Monaduff, the Gaels started the brightest going 0-2 to 0-0 up after 5 minutes thanks to excellent scores from Darren Farley and the industrious Emmet Noonan. Cashel then scored 3 points on the trot before Martin Cassidy levelled matters when he tapped over a 14 yard free after Pauric Gill was fouled going through for goal. Cashel found the net from the penalty spot, after former county player and dangerman Aidan Rowan blasted the ball into the bottom corner, giving Paddy Collum no chance. Rowan himself was taken down for the penalty when he gave Collum no option but to pull him down, which luckily for the Gaels resulted in no card for the county netminder. The Gaels responded to this set back perfectly when Darren Farley chipped over a delightful score. Farley then won an excellent break from the resultant kick out and along with Martin Cassidy worked the ball in before Cassidy released a clever pass to his brother David who tucked away a terrific goal from the edge of the box to put the Gaels a point up 1-4 to 1-3. This lead was to be shortlived, however, as county corner back Andrew Farrell surged up the field untouched to blast an unstoppabe shot past Collum. The ding dong nature of the first half continued as 5 minutes later David Collum lofted in the perfect ball for target man Seán Whelan, who fisted to the net to put the Gaels back in front 2-4 to 2-3. Petie Collum swung over an excellent free from the 21 yard line on the sideline to extend the Gaels lead to 2 before 2 further Gary Kenny free kicks tied the game at 2-5 apiece. Martin Cassidy then nudged the Gaels in front before Cashel levelled matters once again. However, the Gaels went in at the break leading by one thanks to a Pauric Gill point from a tight angle right on the stroke of half time. Half Time score: Fr. Manning Gaels 2-7 Cashel 2-6.


After such an exciting first half, the small attendance at Monaduff would have been forgiven for expecting a similar second, however this did not materialise as the wasteful Gaels hit 11 wides and only managed 3 further points to Cashel’s 2. The Gaels were camped inside the Cashel half for the majority of the second half but could not make this dominance count on the scoreboard. Emmet Noonan burst through and curled over a lovely score to give the Gaels some breathing space before David Cassidy kicked the point of the match off the outside of his boot from 50 yards. Petie Collum then extended the lead to 4 with a free in the 40th minute. This appeared to be the insurance point to allow the Gaels to kick on, but amazingly it proved to be the maroon & gold’s final score of the match. Some great chances of scores were squandered as the forward line all missed point opportunities they normally would have converted. Midfielder Pauric Gill also missed a glorious opportunity for a goal (which would have finished the game) but blasted into the side netting with 10 minutes remaining. In a bruising encounter and nervous finish, Cashel tacked on 2 further points from frees to leave only 2 points between the sides. A small melée broke out 8 minutes from the end which saw Cashel’s Padraig Farrell receive his marching orders with a straight red card. Another Cashel player was lucky to remain on the field when Aaron Quinn was swung to the ground which resulted in the impressive centre half back having to be carried off the field. Despite this setback, the Gaels managed to cling on at the end as they recorded a 2-10 to 2-8 win and more importantly promotion to Division 1 next year.


We wish Aaron Quinn a speedy recovery from the aforementioned leg injury he received.